One of the stand out memories I have of growing up is baking with my mum and dad. This is something I want to carry on with Oliver. However baking with a toddler is NOT easy! I thought I would share my fool proof fairy cake recipe and some tips to make baking with a toddler a bit easier!
- 4 ounces Self raising flor
- 4 ounces Caster Sugar
- 4 ounces of butter or margarine
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Cream the butter and the sugar together, until the mixture goes pale.
- Break the eggs into a separate bowl, add vanilla and mix
- Add egg mix and flour to the butter and sugar mix, stir mixture together until smooth
- Spoon mixture into muffin cases, bake on 180C for 15-20 minutes
- Leave Cakes to cool then decorate!
Oliver likes to get stuck in, which can make the weighing out and measuring bit of baking hard work! So I measure all the ingredients out into separate bowls before we start. Get everything you’re going to need ready before hand. Leaving a toddler unattended with eggs/flour/ cake mix is NEVER a good idea! If you have a aprons to hand I would recommend wearing them for BOTH of you! You’d be surprised how messy you get when there’s children involved! I also like to keep a pack of baby wipes handy as well for quick mop ups. It makes the end cleaning up a lot easier when there’s less smears and spillages.
To decorate the cakes we make different colour water icing (icing sugar, water and food colouring) up in shallow bowls so we can dunk the cake upside down and coat with icing then dunk into a plate of sprinkles or coloured candy balls!
They may not look the prettiest, but they will taste delicious and you will have fun (and hopefully little to no stress!) doing it!
Let me know if you give my tips a go, and if you have any suggestions for other activities or tips for baking with a toddler leave me a comment below!